PEP Ka-Loveteam Quiz Banner
×

BTS Suga "fully drunk" in road incident, says report

Suga fell from his scooter while driving under the influence of alcohol.
by Bong Godinez
Published Aug 11, 2024
Suga, BTS
BTS member Suga made headlines after he was found lying on the ground in Yongsan district, central Seoul, on Tuesday, August 6, 2024. He was apparently drunk at the time of the incident.
PHOTO/S: agustd (Instagram)

Suga's blood alcohol level was "significantly higher" than the 0.08 percent threshold that warrants a driver's license revocation and other penalties in South Korea.

The pop star, known for being a member of the K-pop superstar BTS, made headlines after he was found lying on the ground in Yongsan district, central Seoul, on Tuesday, August 6, 2024.

He had fallen from his electric scooter while driving under the influence of alcohol.

Authorities said that Suga's blood alcohol concentration was 0.227 percent based on the breathalyzer test conducted.

The Korean Times wrote that under the country's Road Traffic Act, drunk driving with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or higher can result in a prison sentence of one to two years or a fine ranging from five million won to 10 million won.

BIG HIT MUSIC ISSUES STATEMENT

Following news of the incident, Big Hit Music, the agency managing BTS, released a statement on behalf of the pop star.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

The agency confirmed that Suga was indeed involved in an accident.

"On the night of the 6th (Tuesday), Suga was riding an electric kickboard while wearing a helmet and drunk while returning home," the statement reads.

Read: K-pop group BTS chronicles struggles in memoir: "We all wanted to say, 'Let’s quit.'"

"After traveling about 500 meters, he fell over when parking the car. After a nearby police officer performed a breathalyzer test, he received a fine and had his license revoked."

Big Hit Music said further, "There were no casualties or property damage, and he returned home under police custody.

"We apologize for disappointing many people due to our artist's inappropriate behavior."

Suga, according to the agency, will be slapped with disciplinary action, and Big Hit Music "will be more careful" to prevent a similar incident from happening again in the future.

Big Hit Music issued a statement denying accusations that it was downplaying the incident.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

The statement also addressed the police's subsequent announcement that Suga would still be investigated despite being released from custody.

Some believe that Big Hit Music intentionally left out this information in its initial statement, giving the impression that Suga had already been cleared by the authorities.

"Both our agency and the artist did not realize that there were still steps remaining to be taken in the investigative process, and we mistakenly thought that the case in question had been closed," the agency said.

"In light of the severity of the case, we apologize for having conveyed misinformation due to internal communication errors.

"Above all else, both the artist and our agency bow our heads in apology for the fact that he was not able to show an exemplary image during his military service and that he caused an unsavory incident during his period of service.

"We also sincerely apologize to the fans who must have been disappointed."

CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
NOOD KA MUNA!

Since March, Suga has been serving as a social service agent, an alternative form of military service in South Korea.

He is set to be discharged in June 2025.

SUGA SAYS SORRY TO THE PUBLIC

Meanwhile, Suga released a separate statement posted on the Weverse app.

"I feel very heavy and sorry to come to you with disappointment," said Suga.

"After drinking at the dinner table last night, I got home on an electric kickboard.

"In the process of setting up an electric kickboard at the front door of the house, I fell alone, and there was a police officer around me, so I took a breath test and found that my license was revoked and a fine was imposed."

Suga stressed that no people or facilities were damaged during the incident, but would like to apologize nonetheless.

"I apologize to everyone who has been hurt by my careless and wrong behavior, and I will be more careful with my actions so that this does not happen in the future," remarked Suga.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

Read: Justin Timberlake arrested for alleged drunk driving

Read Next
PEP Live
Featured
Latest Stories
Trending in Summit Media Network

Featured Searches:

Read the Story →
BTS member Suga made headlines after he was found lying on the ground in Yongsan district, central Seoul, on Tuesday, August 6, 2024. He was apparently drunk at the time of the incident.
PHOTO/S: agustd (Instagram)
  • This article was created by . Edits have been made by the PEP.ph editors.
    Poll

    View Results
    Total Votes: 12,184
  • 50%
  • View Results