Cesar Montano's sudden transfer from ABS-CBN to GMA-7 has given him projects, but lost himself a manager.
During his contract signing with the top executives of the Kapuso Network last July 15, the award-winning actor said, "She's part of this." He was referring to Norma Japitana, who had been handling his career for 26 years. (CLICK HERE to read related story.)
But the statement that was issued by PAMI (Philippine Artists Managers, Inc.) the following day, July 16, stated otherwise: Cesar Montano's manager filed a complaint with the organization because the 48-year-old star entered into a contract without her knowledge.
FIRST THINGS FIRST. "Wala kaming formal complaint. We just had a meeting, and yun na yung complaint ko," clarified Japitana in her exclusive interview with PEP (Philippine Entertainment Portal) yesterday, August 2, via a teleconference, which was also joined in by PAMI president June Rufino and spokesperson Shirley Kuan.
Kuan interjected that whenever the organization holds meetings, and the members have concerns, they express it verbally. "It's never, never in written form," she added.
In effect, the agreements are made by virtue of trust, a practice which is also common among the veteran managers and their wards that are not bound by any kind of contract. Rufino said, "Kung titingnan mo, mas matindi yun kasi harapan, e."
Back to the main issue, Japitana told PEP that she had no inkling about Cesar's major career move. "If my co-managers would ask me about it, sabi ko, 'Hindi. Mayroon pa kaming movies sa Dos, meron pa akong mga negotiations...' I kept on denying it," related the lady, who also managed the careers of Rico J. Puno and Marco Sison.
But she got the shock of her life when the buzz about Buboy's transfer reached the headlines of the newspapers.
"Una, nakita ko sa diyaryo. Nakita ko na the next day, may presscon. Yung mga press, nagtatawag na sa akin. Nakita ko na sa TV. I have all the documents [and copies] nung mga lumabas...I have it all.
"Pagkatapos ng gano'n, tinanong ako nung PAMI, 'O, sabi mo mayroon kayong Dos, yun pala 'andito na.
"Ang sabi ko kay June, 'Tama ka. Talagang mali ako..." Japitana narrated.
Rufino attested Japitana's statements. "Just to set the record straight. On the 13th of July, kausap ni Norma si Cesar. On the 14th, which was the day of [typhoon] Basyang, she was still making deal [with Channel] 2 at nag-uusap pa sila ni Cesar..."
Japitana added, "At pinakita ko pa yung mga text niya sa akin before he decide to drop me... I showed it to PAMI [members], who were asking about the negotiations."
PAMI ENTERS THE PICTURE. The matter was brought up during the organization's meeting.
Afterwards, Rufino rang Cesar "in front of the PAMI members."
What she asked was a dialogue. "Kasi siyempre, we want hear his side as well. We want to be fair kaya gusto naming makausap siya," said Rufino, who manages Edu Manzano, Pia Guanio, and Luis Manzano, to name a few."
But Cesar's response, according to the president of PAMI, was aired via an interview, where he supposedly said, "I won't talk to them unless my lawyer does it."
Rufino's baffled reaction was, "Bakit kami makikipag-ayos o haharap sa lawyer? Ano ang business namin?"
Subsequently, the actor's lawyer got in touch with the president of the organization. Recounting her encounter with the lawyer, "Nagpakilala siya 'tapos sabi niya, 'If I can call you?" I called him [up]. 'Tapos sabi niya sa akin, 'We want to see the formal complaint of Norma,' Sabi ko, in PAMI, wala kaming ganyan na formal complaint... A member who disagreed can go to the office any time, then we call for a meeting... If it's indeed a complaint, we also listen [to the other side.]"
Kuan seconded, "All we wanted was to hear Cesar's side of the story. I mean, we're giving Cesar the chance to explain. It was a time [for us] to listen so that he may continue his ties with us. Sabihin mo kay Cesar, 'Hindi kami kalaban.' We just wanna hear his side in the spirit of fairness. Pero paulit-ulit iyon, the lawyer wanted a written complaint, which they will answer. And after we answer, Cesar will speak to us..."
THE DIALOGUE NEVER TOOK PLACE. Last July 27, Cesar told the press people who attended the presscon of Ilumina, his TV series with GMA-7, that he has yet to talk to his manager. "Hindi ko pa siya nakakausap. Hindi ko masasagot talaga," he said.
Three days later, in an exclusive interview with PEP, Cesar issued a one-liner when asked about his issues involving PAMI: "Okay na kami." (CLICK HERE to read related story.)
But the three ladies all said, "Wala pa talaga."
Japitana said, "I don't want to...Bakit pa? For what purpose? Nakita mo na sa diyaryo, may statement na sila, nakita mo na sa TV—pumirma na siya. Iba ang pumirma in my place. What do you want, di ba?"
Kuan cut in, "That's the reason why kami ang haharap sana kay Cesar dahil ayaw na ni Norma."
Resuming her story, the manager of Cesar recalled the last few engagements she arranged for Cesar—a cover pictorial, guestings in Wowowee and Entertainment Live, the negotiations about his supposed movie with Star Cinema, among others.
Her tone was calm—no drama, no hysterics. She would laugh sparingly during the entire conversation.
But she won't deny there's a tinge of resentment.
"As of now, right away, I tell you, I dropped him. I don't have anything to do with him. Ayaw ko na kunin siya. Klarong-klaro," she said.
She won't hide the fact that she was hurt.
"Parang [ang] sakit lang nito...Siyempre, 26 years, napakahirap...Pag may problema iyan, tatakbo pa rin sa iyo. Gusto ko lang maayos na yung mga ano..." she trailed off.
Nevertheless, she won't let herself get stuck in the situation.
"After the pain, after the shock, I feel relieved. You don't have to worry about this guy. I am moving on," she said quite firmly.
At press time, PEP is getting in touch with Cesar Montano, and is open should he want to air his side of the story.